Can I move to across countrywith my daughter?

My daughter’s father and I have never married. Finacially and emotionally I can no longer reside here and need to move home with my daughter to stay with my parents while I find work. I am currently the primary care giver though the father and I live together. He doesn’t work and hardly takes care of our daughter. He has a record and his license was revoked. Do I have the right to take my daughter put of the state so we have a better opportunity?

Asked on August 18, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are in a tough position here and I would suggest that you speak with an attorney in your area who can ask more questions about the legality of the custody issue.  If, though, you wre never married and there is no custody order in place then you alone are the legal guardian of your daughter.  You can make the decisios regarding her safety and well being.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.