Can I move back into a house that my boyfriend and I shared together if my name is on the mortgage?

My boyfriend and I separated about 10 months ago. I moved out with our child. Our child and he have papers from the court stating that they reside in the house. What paper work must I fill out to make it so we all reside in the house? Both of us are on the mortgage. We do not have any TRO’S ON each other.

Asked on January 28, 2013 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It appears asthough there existed a court order giving the exclusive use and possession of the house to your boyfriend, who in turn has custody of your child. That being the case, you cannot simply just move back in (as you seem to be aware). Before you can legally return to the home you would have to have the court's permission. At this point, without more information, you really need to consult with an attorney as to all of this. They can best advise as to your rights/remedies under specific state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.