Can I make my sister personal representative pay me 4 rent?

My mother passed 4 years ago intestate. She left a house that was paid 4, my sister and I were both living with her when she died. My sister told me that I had to move out so she could sell the house. My sister lived there even moved her family in for 4 yrs. She just listed the house 2 months ago and it sold in 7 days. My mom had no debt. I had to pay $1300 a month to live while she lived for free and now she even expects me to pay half the taxes for the 4 years. The house was half mine; can I get rent?

Asked on March 22, 2019 under Estate Planning, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

No, you can't get rent from another person who had equal ownership interests or rights as you do--so if the house was left to you and your sister (which is what "the house was half mine" implies), you can't make your co-owner pay rent for living in property she partially owned.
Furthermore, even if your sister was not an owner, you can't impose an obligation to pay rent after the fact--i.e. after she has lived there. You can only make people pay rent (or sue them for not paying) if there was an agreement before they lived there that they had to pay. If there was no agreement in place before or while she lived there that she'd have to pay, you cannot change the terms under which she'd lived there now.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.