Can I make my ex boyfriend take my name off title of a car we bought together?

He is also making very late payments but refuses to talk to me about it, tell me where he is living, or give me the car as I have offered to take over all payments and keep/sell the vehicle. There are 2 months left on the loan, but because of late payments much more is owed on it than the 2 final payments. I am the primary on the loan and the title, but the title reads my “and” his name, therefore I know I need him in order to change title. He is uncooperative. Right after we broke up, he got endless parking tickets, which he did not pay or tell me about and because my name is first on title, I got stuck with hundreds of dollars in parking tickets, on top of having had to pay all his bills. I moved out of state, but called the local police where he and the car reside and they told me I can take it and he can not do anything about it. But, I do not have a key and the dealership will not make me one because my license address and the vehicle registration address do not match. Is there anything I can do to make him pay the loan and make him take my name off the title? Or is there a way I can get the car and take his name off title, recovery any fees?

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can take your name off the registered title of the car that you are writing about by simply contacting the local department of motor vehicles and ask for a form to transfer title of the car into the name of your former boyfriend.

Submit the form to the department of motor vehicles after you sign it before a notary public while keeping a copy of it for your own records.

The problem that you have is that you are still obligated on the loan with respect to the car and until the loan is paid in full, you are at risk for being obligated under it.

As a carrot to your former boyfriend to get the loan paid off, you might write him a note stating that if he pays off the loan in the next sixty days you will transfer your ownership in the vehicle to him. This might get the loan paid off sooner rather than later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.