Can I make my divorce faster than 18 months as required by state law?

My wife filed for divorce 3 months ago; we have been seperated for over 2 months now. She has 2 children from a previous relationship; we have none together. I own a house but nothing is in her name. We have no joint accounts, no investments together, nothing. She has moved out of my house and I just moved back in. Is there a way I can expedite this divorce?

Asked on July 30, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


John Ducey / Law Offices of John G. Ducey,PC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Irreconciable differences can be pled.  You and your wife just have to say that for the last 6 months you can no longer get along and you have irreconciable differences.  There is no 18 month waiting period as long as you say this.

Call if you need an attorney

John Ducey


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.