Can I make a claim against my homeowners’ insurance policy if my minor son accidentally hit a golf ball at my eye when golfing?

Since my minor son would be an insured under the policy, could he be held
responsible for my injuries? Even if we are under the same policy? Also, if I
sued my son, would the homeowners’ policy cover him?

The accident was not on the covered property

Asked on September 26, 2017 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Since the accident did not occur on the "covered property", your homeowner's insurance would be inapplicable and the claim would be denied.
If you sue your son, who is a minor, and has no money, you won't collect anything.  Also, the fact that he is a minor could be asserted as a defense to a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.