Can I lose my alimony if I move in with my boyfriend?

I’m a 70 year old divorced woman who receives alimony. If I move in with my

boyfriend, can I lose my alimony support?

Asked on March 10, 2016 under Family Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you are receiving alimony and you have a boyfriend who moves in with you, there is a good chance that your ex can go to court and have the dollar amount of your support greatly reduced or completely stopped. Accordingly, before going any further with any live-in arrangement, you should consult directly with a local divorce attorney; the can best advise you as to specific state law. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.