Can I legally help my sister complete her community service?

Asked on October 1, 2010 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It depends on what you mean.  Can you do it for her?  No, you can not.  Can you provide a place or means to help her?  Then yes you can.  If you own a business or work somewhere that will "hire" her to do the type of community service that she needs to do to complete her sentence or probation then you can do so.  But no one can do it for her.  It is unique to her in that it is part of her sentence for what ever offense she committed and what ever conviction or sentence was avoided because of it.  If the type of service is, though, difficult for her to complete because of a disability of some sort then that could be an issue to raise to modify the assignment.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.