Can I legally force my 18 year old to leave my house?

Asked on November 9, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, parental obligations end when a child reaches the age of majority which is 18 years old in most states; parents who have children with disabilities may have their parental obligations last beyond the age of majority.
Therefore, you can ask your child to remove themself from your home. if they do not voluntarily leave, you cannot simly put their belongings out on the sidewalk and change the locks. Legally, you will need to go through the steps for eviction. Additionally, if your child has put you in fear for your safety you can go to court and get a protection order; if you have been put in immediate fear for your wellbeing contact the police immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.