Can I legally break my lease?

Our landlord has no made any repairs to the property that were here upon move in, we noted all of the repairs on the move-in inspection. The list includes multiple things, like outlets being loose windows missing screens and/or storm windows, windows don’t lock (easily opened from outside), door locks stay in locked position, etc. I have verbally talked to him as well as handing over the inspection, I am sending him a letter tomorrow and will give him time to make repairs, if he still doesn’t what are my options?

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the landlord does not make repairs then you have the option to go to landlord tenant court and ask for help.  There are certain warranties that come inherent in a lease and safety is one of them.  You can ask the court to allow you to pay the rent in to court and an abatement (redcution) of the rent until such time as the repairs are made.  If the landlord does not - and the court will determine how much time is enough time - then you can ask the court to void the lease. But you yourself can not just breack it. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.