Can I legally ask my ex-husband to help pay for repairs on vehicles that I kept from the divorce that our boys use to go see him ?

His name is still on titles for the above metioned vehicles and our boys see him weekly on Tuesdays and every other weekend.

Asked on May 28, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


Michael Gainer / Michael J. Gainer, Attorney At Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can legally ask, but it does not mean he has to agree.  Once property is awarded to a spouse, it is theirs to own for all purposes.  He should sign the title to transfer ownership to you only pursuant to the divorce decree. 

As far as using it for visitation, he might want to pay some to help reduce his travel time and expense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.