Can I leave the country for 5 days with a pending DUI case?

I have a pending D felony DUI. I posted bail several months ago and have been to 2 early court dates. I applied for and was recently given a passport and plan to go to Mexico in 2 weeks with family for 5 days. I have every intention of going to my final court case at the end of next month. I simply have a family trip. Can I get in any trouble for leaving for Mexico? I am not currently on probation and have showed up for all court dates so far.

Asked on June 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written with respect to the criminal matter pending against you and your desire to go out of the country for a trip, I see nothing improper about what you wish to do assuming you intent to return to the United States and face the charge against you.

If you do not have a criminal defense attorney representing you in the felony DUI case against you, I suggest that you at least consult with one sooner rather than later.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.