Can I leave my house with my kids and move into an apartment while we try to sell our house during our divorce?

My wife and I have been married for 14 years and we have 2 teenage boys 17 and 13. She left us all 6 weeks ago for a married man in another state. She wants to file an uncontested divorce here and let the kids live with me. Neither of us want the house and we are going try to sell it off. Can I legally change addresses and move into an apartment with my boys while the house is on the market? Is there any legal recourse she could take because I removed the kids from the home to an apartment?

Asked on March 7, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.