Can I kick someone out of my home that I do not want living there at that’s not a member of my family

My wife moves her sister into our home.
the sister and I do not get along and
she’s creating a very tense situation in
our home.
On top of that she brought Pitbull and
five cats to our house on top of the
five pets that we already had.
The living conditions in the home are
very unsanitary.
I have asked them both numerous times to
have the sister leaves and with her pets
and they refuse.

Asked on September 18, 2019 under Family Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Any legal owner of real property can invite a geust to stay on the premises, even over the objection of other owners. So your wife has the right to remove your sister-in-law but you do not.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, any person who has the legal right to use and occupy a home, as your wife as the legal right to use and occupy your marital home, has the right to have guests, including overnight and even long-term guests. You and wife together would kick her out, but you can't kick her out so long as your wife, who has the right to have her there, lets her stay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.