Can i kick my wife out?

I live with my parents in a home they they are rented. My name and her name are
not on the lease. She has packed all her stuff up and moved it out of the house.
She never did a change of address so her mail still comes to my house. She
refused to sign the divorce papers and now has started to move back in. I don’t
wanna be with her and don’t know what to do to get her out.

Asked on April 6, 2017 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

YOU cannot exclude her: one spouse may not remove or lock-out the other spouse from a home they shared, and if the other spouse moved out, she must be allowed back in.
But if your parents are the actual renters/tenants and you and your wife are guests of theirs, your parents can require her to leave--they are not barred from removing her, since the lawful owners or renters of premises can ask any guest (even an in-law) to leave at any time. If she will not leave, they can file an action for "ejectment"--basically, eviction for nonpayments--to remove her; again, they would have to do this, since they are the one with possession of and control over the unit, not you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.