Can I keep my daughter from her mother if she keeps coming to my home infested with head lice?

My ex-wife is living with a friend until she can find a job and support herself. She has residential custody of my 9 year old. My daughter came to my home a month ago with head lice and we decided it would be best that she stayed with me for 3 weeks until the lice were gone from both homes. I did get rid of the lice in that period of time and my daughter just came back to my home today and she is now infested again. I also have 2 other children with my new wife that this is now affecting as well.

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can not violate the custody agreement.  You can only apply to the court for modification based upon "the best interests of the child" and maybe even on an emergency basis. Although I can totally understand your feelings here it could be that she is getting the lice from school - which is generally where it comes from - and not from the other home.  An investigation would have to be had to make that determination. You may have to show that it is neglect in some way here.  Please seek legal counsel.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.