Can I involuntarily terminate my mother’s parental rights?

If so, how do I go about this process?

Asked on January 22, 2013 under Family Law, Vermont


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you mean can you become emancipated, no this is not a process wherein it just simply happens. You need to go to court and ask the court to emancipate you.  You would need to show you can live on your own, support yourself, go to school and maintain a home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.