CanI hire representation to appear on my behalf at a court hearing for a traffic violation?

Asked on November 10, 2011 under General Practice, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Since a traffic matter is a quasi criminal matter (an infraction as opposed to a misdemeanor or a felony charge), you are entitled to have a licensed attorney appear for you and defend you as to the citation involving a traffic matter.

The prosecution bears the burden of proving the claims as to you beyond a reasonable doubt. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.