Can I have trouble entering the US if I didn’t pay my credit cards balances 10 years ago?

I was legally studying (FL) and then legally working (MA) in the US and I got a credit card in 1998 from my university (in FL). In 2000, I had to leave the US to work in Canada, so I left without paying the outstanding balance on the card until today. What are the implications of this and could I travel again to the US on tourist visa without problems?

Asked on September 15, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Typically a person is only denied entry into the US for criminal matters. I would be very much surprised if a civil judgment would prohibit your entry into the US.  Unless of course some type of fraud (a crime) was also involved (ie you lied on your credit application, took the money with no intention of paying it back, or the like).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.