Can I have my ex-husband’s visitation terminated?

He has had supervised visits and only came to see the kids for a total of 5 months which was only twice a month for up to 3 hours. Now he has not seen the kids in a year and three months.

Asked on January 17, 2013 under Family Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

What you are really asking about is terminating a parent's right here and generally speaking, that is not an easy task.  I am assuming that there is something here in the facts that may help you in the direction you seek only because he has supervised visitation.  That would mean that the court thought that he could not have the children on his own and that this was "in the best interest of the children,"  the standard used.  If you terminate his rights it terminates support as well.  I think that you should speak with an attorney in your area on the matter.  More facts are needed.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.