Can I have domestic battery removed from my record?

It never went to court yet it is still on my record for some reason. When I look it up online it says “wrong person charged” yet it has cost me a job when a background check was run.

Asked on September 29, 2015 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

What you need to do is to google the name of the state in which your conviction occurred and the word "expungement". You will find specific state info such as what charges can be expunged i.e. removed from a criminal history record, when it can be done and other eligibility and related information. You can also consult directly with a criminal law attoreny in the area.
Here is a link to a site that you will find to be of help

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.