Can I have a quest removed from my house if my wife wants them to stay?

My wife and I live in a home that we bought after we married but is titled only in my name. We have a guest who she asked me to allow to stay there temporarily while he gets back on his feet. I agreed and he started staying there about 6 months ago, for free, with no written agreement or specific

terms of any kind. This friend of hers and I have had a falling out and I no longer want him in my home and told them so. However, my wife still wants him to stay and says that since our home is marital property, regardless of it being solely in my name, I cannot make him leave as long as she wants him there.Do I have any recourse to make him go?

Asked on March 5, 2018 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Your wife is, unfortuantely, correct: she has the right to live there because it is her marital home (and was bought while the two of you were married), and anyone with a legal right to live in or occupy a home has the right to have guests and allow them to stay with him or her. As long as one person with rights to the home lets the guest stay, he cannot be made to leave.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.