Can I have a person buy me out so I’m not a part of the property any more?

My father passed. Everything went to probate. So now myself and my stepmom are on the deed; she has a life tenant and me as remainderman. She is only 13 years older than me. I’ll never get my dad’s house; she’s in good health. Can she buy my part on the deed then she can leave her kids with the house?

Asked on July 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

She can, if she wants the house.  Since she has a life estate, I doubt she is in any rush.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.