Can I have a no contact order placed on a former employer for defamation of character?

I have a former employer who is angry I moved out of state and has taken the opportunity to use team meetings and team member phone conversations to spread malicious, false slanderous statements. It was brought to my attention she also has done this while live ustreaming for a team meeting. She has also began taking stabs at my family and things that were spoken within a confidential (similar to AA) spousal support group. She has given people information from this group as well as twisted things said within it to people who I used to work with. Sadly, I have been asked about two specific things she has started because people now believe it is true. Is is possible to get a no contact order?

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Criminal Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are talking about a restaining order or an order of protection, you can not get one based on an accusation of defamation, nor would it seem to make any sense seeking one out.  You can not get a court order to stop someone from defaming you.  You can sue someone for defamation if you have damages you can prove are related to the defamation.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.