Can I have a lien placed on my father’s house if he abused his authority as custodian of his children’s assets?

I am 16 years old. My grandfather gave my younger siblings and me stock shares when we were born to be used for our college tuition. My father was named sole custodian. I just found out that he transferred all our shares, worth over $300,000, into his own personal “day-trading” account and lost all our money. He has a gambling problem. The only thing left is equity in the house. Can we have a lien placed on the house, if he misused our funds?

Asked on February 28, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to contact a probate litigation lawyer right away about this.  Be sure that the lawyer does probate litigation beccause not every probate and estate lawyer will litigate.

You may have a claim against your father for misusing your stock.  However, you cannot place a lien against his house without filing and winning a claim against him.  In Florida, you would not be able to place a lien against his house because Florida protects homesteads from creditors' claims.  I do not know if California has a similar provision.

Please consult a probate litigation attorney to find out what you can do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.