Can I go to court and change my child’s last name without their father’s permission?

Asked on September 7, 2012 under Family Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can have your child's surname changed without the father's permission after filing a petition for a legal name change after notice requirements are completed to the court's satisfaction. The petition for a name change must be served on the father of the child so as to give him an opportunity to contest. Notice of the petition must be published per a court order at least once a week in a newspaper for four consecutive weeks.

I suggest that if you want a name change for your child that you consult with a family law attorney for assistance in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.