Can I get visitation in another state?

Asked on November 8, 2012 under Family Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country if you are the parent of a minor child or possibly a grandparent then you very well have standing to seek visitation with a minor where the child resides in another state than you. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney in the county and state where the minor is for guidance.

B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are the parent of a child that resides in another state, then yes, you can petition the court with jurisdiction and venue in that state for access to a child. 

If your question is about custody orders relating to parents who live in different states, then the answer is also yes.  Most states have standardized visitation plans that provide for a visitation schedule if the parents live close, but also provide another schedule for parents who live greater distances from each other. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.