Can I get sued if my friend crashes my car?

I live in Alabama and a couple of months ago, I lent my roommate my car for an
hour. long story short, he crashed my car and the owner of the other car is now
calling my roommate and is threatening to sue meowner. Nobody was injured in
the accident and my roommate was not unfit to drive.

According to him, the insurance is taking too long to give him his money. which
was the reason he gave my roommate for suing me or threatening to sue me. He
also said that according to Alabama law he should sue me instead of my
roommate.So, can I get sued if I was not in my car or around it? It would be very
helpful if someone can clear my dilemma.

Asked on April 25, 2017 under Accident Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Since you are the registered owner, you can be held liable for the accident. This true whether or not you were driving or even present at the scene. You can be sued and held liable for for all damages incurred by the owner of the other car.

S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, as the registered owner of the vehicle, you are  liable for the accident even though you were not present when the accident occurred. You can be sued for negligence and will be liable for the property damage (cost of repairs to the vehicle not at fault in the accident).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.