Can I get spousal support and/or compensation for mental anguish when he was drunk?

I work, however, make much less than he does. Barely make enough to pay my rent and utilities. He drank; he became violent. Have pictures proving he locked me out of the house and put hole in wall.

Asked on June 26, 2009 under Family Law, Arizona


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When determining whether you are entitled to temporary and/or permanent spousal support (alimony), the court considers many factors including: (1) the duration of the marriage; (2) the income/assets of the parties; (3) the wife's ability to work; (4) the age and health of the parties; (5) other factors relevant to the situation.

The fact that he makes more money than you do and you barely earn enough to pay your bills may be a factor in your favor. Also, his physical and mental abuse of you during your marriage may also be in your favor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.