Can I get reimbursed for a $150 deposit for security that wasn’t provided?

I rented a banquet room for a grad party and was told if there was to be any drinking we had to hire our own security or hire the manager for $150. We opted to hire the manager, whom I never did see until Monday morning. She said that she had to leave on an emergency but left her son nd his friend. However, they never did identify themselves or even came inside the room. They were also not even present when the party was over, however in the contract it says they have to be there 30 minutes after. Fortunately no security was ever needed but I don’t feel like this service was provided so think she should give me my $150 back.

Asked on June 5, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Legally, you should be entitled to the money; if you paid for a service but were not provided it, the banquet room breached the contract and you can recover the sum(s) you paid for that service. Given the amount at stake, if they will not voluntarily repay you, you would likely be best off filing an action in small claims court (i.e. a lawsuit for breach of contract) and acting as your own attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.