Can I get paided my vacation time instead of using it ?because I really need the money.

I really need the money not the vacation
time I need to fix car asap

Asked on January 25, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Kansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Most employment relationships are "at will". This means that a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit (absent sme form of legally actionable discrimination). So unless there exists an employment contract or union agreement to the contrary, your employer is under no legal duty to pay out for vacation time rather letting you use it. The fact is that vacation time is not legally mandated. In other words, it is up to an employer whether or not to provide it. Accordingly, it has a great deal of say how it is used/paid out. 

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

No, there is NO legal right to be paid out for vacation time while you are employed rather than using it. Certainly, your employer could voluntarily choose to do this, but they are not required to do so--it would be 100% voluntary on their part.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.