Can I get out of a timeshare?

I purchased a timeshare at Branson, Mo. last year now see
that it wasn’t a good idea, can I legally get out of it
without filing bankruptcy

Asked on September 11, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Check your contract and see if you can return it to the resort; typicallly this is not alloed but you should check anyway. Also, you can try tyou can try to rent it out to at least cover your costs. Further, you can sell it if their is a demand in the market for it. Additionally, you can try and donate it timeshares toa charity; there are a number of charitable organizations that accept such donations, especially if they already have strategies of making profits with timeshares. Finally, you can do what you have laready attempted to do; you can get "timeshare relief" by paying somebody else to take over your timeshare and relieve you of the obligations.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately once you sign up for a time share, you are contractually--that is, legally--locked into it; there is no way to get out unless you sell it or the time share company chooses voluntarily to get you out (or, as you write, you go through bankruptcy). No one can guaranty that they can get you out of the time share, because they do not control the time share company or have the power to force them to let you out of the contract,.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.