Can I get my name removed from the house and credit cards?

The divorce papers say that my ex husband is responsible for paying the mortage and credit cards. I was told I could not remove my name now he is not paying anything and it is affecting my credit. Can I legally get my name removed since it states in the divorce papers that I am not responsible?

Asked on July 1, 2009 under Family Law, Massachusetts


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The way these kinds of cases are handled can differ from one state to another, and they are almost always very sensitive to the factual details.  So, for advice you can rely on, you'll need a detailed consultation with a lawyer near you.  One place to find a qualified attorney is our website,

If your husband can't do a refinance to close out all the loans with your name on them, you may have to ask the court to force a sale of the home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.