Can I get my felony dropped even if I haven’t been paying on my restitution?

Also, how or at all can I get my restitution lowered? Since my felony is 5 years old now, do have still have to tell people on the appication that I have one?

Asked on November 25, 2013 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You probably cannot get your felony dropped, especially if you have not paid your restitution. You need to show very unique circumstances to have this dropped. Further, you still will need to report felonies that have not been expunged. These are on your permanent criminal history.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.