Can I get my daughters father’s rights terminated?

He’s 18 and is always putting on twitter or facebook how he’s getting high and drunk.

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, posting stupid things on facebook or twitter isn't grounds for termination of parental rights.   The courts usually require a bit more-- like because of his drug or alcohol use he has endangered the safety of the child or has done something to the child.  If the facebook pages document any of these things or threats to you or your child-- then you would have a better chance at termination.

That being said, you may still have options to limit his access to the child because he is an admitted user and drunk.  The court can restrict his access to the child until such time as he has completed drug and alcohol counseling and can pass a hair follicle test.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.