Can I get my charges dismissed if I was arrested for disorderly conduct, public intoxication, on 5/13, but the ticket charges me for the crime on 5/14

I live in Ohio, and was wondering what the specific rules and articles were regarding the police officer writing the wrong date for the crime. They also never did any sort of sobriety tests.

Asked on June 3, 2009 under Criminal Law, Ohio


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

With regard to your question my best advice is to hire a local criminal attorney. The issues you raise on their face may not be enough to have the charges dropped, however if an attorney is able to use these factors to your advantage the Court may agree to either drop the charges or settle for a something such as community service and possible seal the record.

Being that I do not have the specifics it is hard to really say what will and can happen. The issue with the date could be explained and looked past but and being I am not licensed in OH this is something you should speak about with your attorney as they may know that this alone negates all charges being as I cannot say that

The sobriety test depends on many circumstances and in my practice they are not necessary unless trying to claim drunk driving and have an actual blood alcohol reading to go by

Hire an attorney le them take care of this and explain everything to them in hopes of them using it to settle this matter quickly

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.