can i get my alimony payments to my ex stopped?

judge did not set stop date for alimony. no children

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Family Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What did the decree state? Based on a lifetime as long as the ex doesn't remarry? Was the ex a homemaker? How long were you married? All of these are factors.  How long have you been making payments? Do you have evidence to support a good justifiable reason why the payments SHOULD be stopped, not that you just don't want to pay anymore?


Try and check his or her record at the Georgia State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.