How can Iget money left to me in a Will?

My mom died almost 3 years ago. Her Will said to divide all money evenly, however my sister took it all. I need help and am stuck on what to do.

Asked on October 21, 2011 under Estate Planning, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your mom.

You could sue your sister to recover your share of the money.  Your lawsuit against your sister should seek the remedy of a constructive trust.  A constructive trust requires your sister, who is wrongfully withholding the funds, to turn them over to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.