Can I get into trouble for renting out part of my single family home, and if so, what kind of trouble?

Is there a legal fix for this? I presently own a 4 bedroom home that has a main house in the front, and a mother-in-law suite in the back. My husband and I live in the mother-in-law suite, and rent out the front main part of the house. My house is zoned as single family although there is a duplex down the street.

Asked on August 29, 2011 South Carolina


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can rent out your home; but if your mother in law suit is not per code, you may need to seek legal help in terms of getting a zoning variance or conditional exception or exemption to the mother in law suite on the premises. You are renting out the house; it is your home so there should be no issue with the rental. The only question is whether your rental agreements comply with the state law. If you have been given a citation for possible issues; check with your local solicitor or city attorney about the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.