Can I get fired in a workmans comp case

I was injured at work and required
rotator cuff surgery. Workmanship
comp case. When my FMLA ended
they cancelled my insurance. After 4
months off with restrictions that did not
allow me to perform my job description
I was terminated. I was told I had 30
days to return to work to keep my job,
rate of pay,seniority and vacation. I
returned but as a new hire…which
means I will go 90 days without health
insurance before I’m eligible. Is this
legal? Is it legal they terminated me
without offering a different position.

Asked on June 13, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You cannot be fired for filing a workers' compensation case.
You can sue your employer for retaliatory discharge for firing you for filing a workers' compensation case.
You can also argue that returning as a new hire without health insurance for 90 days constituted a constructive discharge.  A retaliatory discharge claim can be based on a constructive discharge.
Disability discrimination arising out of a workers' compensation claim can form the basis of a wrongful discharge claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.