Can I get compensation for serving out a sentence for a wrongful conviction which was overturned?

The charges were dropped.

Asked on October 16, 2013 under Criminal Law, Illinois


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can only get compensation after a wrongful conviction if your state has in place a law and a fund set up specifically for this person.  Arizona does not, however Illinois does.  It provides $85,350 for those who served up to five years; $170,000 for those who served between five and 14 years; $199,150 for those who served more than 14 years. The law also reimburses attorney's fees up to 25 percent of the compensation award.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.