Can a fist fight be justified if I have been harassed at work?

This guy I work with keeps calling me “Straight Dave” in front of other people. I find it disrespectful, humiliating, and it mocks my sexuality. I’m not gay, however, I was molested as a child so it causes me anxiety and conjures terrible memories and feelings. Part of me doesn’t want to be the guy that can’t take a joke and runs to HR. The other part of me wants to fight the guy. I’ve told him to stop. Once he asked me in the men’s room if I was straight. I have a good life. I don’t want to lose my job or go to jail. If I document my complaints with HR, could I get away with fighting him?

Asked on March 15, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The answer is about as strong or resounding a "No" as if possible--do NOT do this:

1) Even if you had an employment contract, attacking or fighting with another employee is always grounds to be fired for cause. If you don't have a contract, you are an employee at will and again could be terminated on the spot for this. In either event, since it's a for-cause firing, you wouldn't get unemployment.

2) Our legal system does NOT recognize the concept of "fighting words." If you initiate a fight, you might be arrested and charged with assault; words, no matter how hurtful, never give you the right to threaten or attack another.

3) If you fight this other person and injure him, he could sue you for medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc.

In short, you could lose your job, go to jail, and be sued. If you're going to document the complaints to HR, do this right way: complain to HR about his harassment and let HR deal with it. That's what they are there for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.