Can I get alimony from my husband after 18 years of marriage

We have been married for 18 years and I
have been the homemaker for our family
for about 17 out of those 18 years. He
has never let me work and by that I
mean he would never give me the me the
money to get my photo ID and would just
not pay for anything at all that was
needed to better myself. He would only
give me money when he wanted. I was
only allowed to use the phone if I
asked and begged. I just need to know
if I’m eligible to get alimony

Asked on April 17, 2017 under Family Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Alimony is called “spousal maintenance" in CO. A judge may order one spouse to pay maintenance to the other during divorce proceedings, sometimes called "pendente lite" maintenance, as well as pay either short-term or long-term maintenance after the divorce is final. Specifically, a court may order maintenance based on the following factors: their ages, assets and earning potential; the duration of the marriage; and any other information the court determines to be in the interests of justice. For more information you can consult directly with a divorce attorney in your area. Also,here is a link to a site that you may find to be of help:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.