Can I get a refund of storage fees that I was made to pay by my employer under duress of losing my job?

About4 months ago, I was stopped by the state police while driving. Upon checking my log book, the trooper cited me for violation of exceeding my driving hours. I was not allowed to drive any further and the vehicle and myself was taken to a private storage yard used by the MSP. I had to stay there for 2 hour to regain enuf hours to drive. During the stay, storage charges ($888) were incurred which the company paid but then made me reimburse to them (weekly) under duress of losing my job if I refused. My last paycheck was depleted to pay the balance.

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The issue is not duress. Duress is a legal term of art that doesn't apply here. You need to review your contract and see what it tells you about such events happening. Usually an employer must address this issue in the contract if you are a W2 employee. Check with any applicable unions or state labor board on who should absorb the cost.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.