Can I get a refund for a purchase made through telephone solicitation if I cancel before 3 days?

I live in Canada and signed an agreement with an on-line company in AZ. The amount paid is non-refundable. However, I read in A.R.S. § 44-1276(C) that “F. A provision of a contract, offer or agreement that waives a consumer’s right of cancellation under this section is void and has no effect”. I cancelled within 2 days. Does this law (1) apply to a non-US citizen, and (2) to this particular situation? If so, what can I do to get the refund?

Asked on July 22, 2010 under General Practice, Arizona


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

According to the statute you provided, it appears you are entitled to a refund since you availed yourself of the commerce of Arizona.  I assume the contract paperwork states Arizona law applies.  What you can do is two fold, contact your credit card company and file claim.  It will at least temporarily credit your account.  Next up is filing a complaint through the Arizona Attorney General and Federal Trade Commission.  Your last resort is to sue the company but I feel the other approaches might be your best success. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.