Can I get a no-contact order to prevent my wife’s boyfriend from being around my minor child?

My wife moved out of the house and has begun a relationship with a new man. We have not filed for divorce or separation yet. Still working on it. Since this is adultery, can I prevent my wife from having our child around him?

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Family Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should speak with a family or divorce law attorney, about this matter, about getting divorced, and about custody.

For the present, you are unlikely to be able to get a no contact order unless you can show some physical, emotional, etc. hazard to your child. If your wife's companion is an alcohalic or uses drugs; if he has a history of violence or sex offenses; if he is inappropriate around you child (e.g. walks around undressed; your wife and he are inappropriately physically intimate in view of the child), then you may be able to get a protective or no-contact order. But without some risk or danger, very likely not--the law does not regulae adult behavior to that degree, or take away, without good reason, a parent's right to have associates of hers meet her child.

It is possible, however, that your wife's behavior may be factored in, if you and she divorce, to deciding on custody arrangements.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.