Can I get a misdomeanor sealed or expunged?

I have a misdemeanor on my background that is stopping me from getting a good paying job. It is 1 count of attempt to theft/identity that happened about 3 1/2 years ago. I did 1 year of probation which was satisfactory. I wanted to know is there a way that I can get it sealed or expunged off my information? It is the only thing I have that affects my background search.

Asked on July 18, 2017 under Criminal Law, New Mexico


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunatley, as a general rule in NM, it is not possible to "expunge" (i.e.clear or seal) a conviction of a criminal record, even if probation as been completed. The state only allows adult criminal records to be expunged in very limited circumstances. For further informaion, you should consult directly with a local criminal law attorney who can best advise you further. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.