Can I get a misdemeanor child endangerment expunged in Texas?

In 2012 I had lost a good job and
had to take my kids out of
daycare. I left my kids with a
babysitter that had no criminal
history and had great personal
references. My son, who is
autistic, got out of the house
picked up by a police officer
while I was working and the
babysitter was taking care of
them. I was charged with
misdemeanor child endangerment and
fined. The charge is preventing me
from getting into medical higher
education programs and finding
worthy jobs.

Asked on May 31, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the charge was dismissed, then you could potentially be eligible for an expunction.  If you entered a plea and were placed on deferred, then you may be eligible for an 'order of nondisclosure.' This is similar to an expunction, except that it only removes the charge from public viewing--but law enforcement would still have the info.  This cures the problem with most employers since those employers will not have access to your history.  Take your plea papers and final plea order/judgment to an attorney that routinely handles expunctions.  Some criminal attorneys do handle these...but not all... so look for one that knows the process to insure that you petition is properly filed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.