Can I get a driver’s license if my license was suspended/revoked in anther state?

I got a DUI 18 years ago in CO. I just found out I have a warrant there. However, don’t know if my license was suspended or revoked. This was 19 years ago. Can I get a driver’s license in OR.

Asked on October 10, 2017 under Criminal Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If a person's driving privileges have been suspended or revoked, then they cannot get a driver's license in another state. This is due to something known as the "Interstate Driver's License Compact". This is an agreement between virtually all states that requires the reporting of all license suspensions/revocations to a central data base. This data base is then accessed by the DMV whenever a person applies for a license. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.