can I get a divorce for free?

My wife got pregnant while I was away. Another man was proven to be the dad. We aren’t together but still married but I have no money for a divorce.

Asked on June 27, 2016 under Family Law, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There are agencies/groups which provide free legal assistance to people who qualify. Legal Aid is such a service. Also, you can check to see if there is a law school nearby to where you live; they typically run free/low cost clinics that handle divorce cases. Additionally, you can contact the county/city bar association to see if it has a list of attorneys who will take your case for free ("pro bono") or at least for a reduced fee based on income/circumstances. Finally, you can contact the Department of Social Services to see if it can refer you to free legal services.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.